Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Filet Patterns reprise

I decided to try a simple looking filet pattern anyway. One of an elephant. I either used yarn that was too heavy (it was normal sport), or my double crochets need to be tighter, OR my chains need to be looser. It came out way elongated, and was twice as wide as it should have been (ok that's an exaggeration, but it was much wider than it should have been). Maybe I have just learned that I need to do 1-dc blocks instead of 2-dc blocks for a filet [when working with sport yarn]. My mom is doing a shawl, but in the right weight cotton thread and it seems to be coming out fine.

I haven't given up on the filet yet, but I may try to make up smaller charts to practice with rather than trying a 60x30 right off the bat. I was really unprepared for how big it worked up. It was a good learning experience and thankfully did not go wrong enough to scare me away from the filet.

No comments:

Post a Comment