Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ocean Dreams

This is my initial Spark piece, sent to the woman they paired me with. She must now make visual art inspired from it! I call it "Ocean Dreams."

There is a long, luxurious hiss
as the sun sinks into the ocean.
The shimmering light
of the extinguishing beast
casts blood-red diamonds across the surface
and the waves lavish them on the shore.

My eyes half-lidded
from the hazy crimson dusk,
I descend to the beach
to collect the sparkling treasure.
I tie them together
on a bit of fishing line,
crimped and knotted.

But soon, as twilight descends
and the moonlight clears my vision,
I see that my diamonds are nothing
more than sea glass,
and my work is nothing
more than a tangle of garbage and broken shells.

I throw it to the ground
and watch it crawl away.
The fishing line is threaded
through the tip of a hermit crab’s shell.
My tangled dream drags along
behind its home, only to snag
on a wayward stone.

I watch it struggle a moment,
then turn away.

No comments:

Post a Comment