Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Books

Ok, I know when I've been cowed. It's hard to admit it, because let's face it, who actually wants to be wrong, but there you have it. I spoke 'in the moment' out of irritation and was wrong. On some things. Ok, most. I do know the importance of being well informed, I just forget to do it sometimes when emotions are running high. (Is that like excusing behavior because of PMS? Naahhh...) Thank you to those who pointed me toward some very informative articles without accusing me of ignorance. I promise I'll do better at looking for them myself in the future before wanting to write something, and then I shall wisely choose not to.

On to other news. I'm gonna leave politics well enough alone and stick to what I DO know pretty well: my personal life. I was at the library yesterday and picked up a graphic novel.. comic book..?.. Called Runaways: Dead End Kids. It's Marvel. I think the X-Men are in it. It looked interesting. I'll report back when I'm done.

And, in rummaging through three huge boxes of books last week, I found one that I had been wanting to reread for a few years, The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector. I don't think I was able to truly appreciate it the first time I read it, due to it having to be read for class. (Doesn't school always ruin the best books?). And speaking of books to read for school, has anyone read Ethan Frome? The other English class when I was in high school read this one, but not mine. I can't remember what WE read... But I recently borrowed an audio CD of Ethan Frome and actually enjoyed it. I can totally see how high school kids would be bored by it, but 10 years removed, I appreciated it. Of course, I could just be weird, because I also enjoyed reading Silas Marner which most everyone else has indubitably hated. Or at least disliked.

I have also just read Catcher in the Rye. I had never read it before. I can now say I've read it, and I'll leave it at that, lol. It was... ok... Again, I can see how, when it was first published, it was such a sensation and such a crazy story. But reading it today in the present, it's not all that shocking. The poor kid just wasn't into the whole college thing. Another one I have never read is To Kill a Mockingbird. I have it on hold at the library, so when that comes back I'll be sure to say a few words on that one as well.

Anyone know of any other "school cannon" reading that they have found interesting (or not)? I feel like there is a reason these books are read in school, and if I haven't read them, I'd like to, and find out for myself why they are still considered "classics." And, I suppose in some cases, I'll never know. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment